Renting a Room in Ottawa: Several Things to Consider
Renting a room in Ottawa, there are several things to consider:
- Room size, closet space, and storage space
- Access to a private bathroom
- Home features and amenities
- Room furnishings
- If utility costs are included in the rent
- Parking availability and ease of access
- How close you are to work
- Your preferred mode of transportation
- Whether you need quiet or want to live in the middle of it all
- Whether your dream location is more expensive than surrounding neighborhoods
- Private bathroom
- Personal kitchenette
- Private entrance
- Access to a pool or fitness center
- A deck, barbecue or other outdoor amenity
- On-site washer and dryer
- Garage space or other off-street parking
- Total monthly mortgage payment (if applicable)
- Monthly homeowners insurance premiums
- The cost of utilities
- Square footage of the room for rent and common areas
- Any desirable amenities, such as a swimming pool
Here are some ways to find a room for rent or roommate in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:
- Social media platforms such as iROOMit, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter can be great places to start your search for a roommate. You can join local groups or search for relevant hashtags to see if anyone is looking for a roommate in your area.
- Websites such as iROOMit, Kijiji, Craigslist, and RentFaster are a great place to start your search for rooms for rent in Ottawa.
- Roommates Ottawa connects you to Ottawa roommate listings from various sites across the Web.
- Roomies.ca is another website that can help you find a roommate or room for free.
iROOMit is a free platform that allows you to list, search and advertise rooms for rent or roommates. The platform is safe and secure with verified IDs and real-time connections. iROOMit uses a smart algorithm to find a good roommate lifestyle match for you.
As of July 2023, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Ottawa, ON is $1,895. This is an 18% increase compared to the previous year. The median rent for 1-bedroom apartments in Downtown Ottawa is 18% higher than the median rent in Sandy Hill. The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment increased by 13.9% year-over-year to $1,972 for June 2023. The benchmark condo price in Ottawa decreased by 9.0% year-over-year to $419,000 in May 2023. Rentals.ca reports that each of Canada’s six largest cities experienced double-digit annual rent inflation in June for purpose-built and condominium apartments.
There are a total of 1,354 apartments for rent available in Ottawa, ON.
The average monthly price for a two-bedroom apartment, condo, townhouse, duplex or house in the city exceeded record highs in 2023. Ontario guideline rent increase for 2023 is 6.2%.
Rentals.ca reports that by city, average roommate rents were highest in Vancouver at $1,454, followed by Toronto at $1,288, Ottawa at $947 and Montreal at $9,272. This makes Ottawa an appealing choice.
Here are some tips on how to find a roommate in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:
- Determine your budget and what furniture you have and what you need
- Decide if you are a home-body or if you just want a place to crash
- Consider moving in with a friend
- Determine if the person is pet friendly
- Be ready for an interview (or ten)
There are several ways to find rooms for rent or roommates in Ottawa. Websites such as iROOMit, Kijiji, Craigslist, and RentFaster are a great place to start your search for rooms for rent in Ottawa. Social media platforms such as iROOMit, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter can also be great places to start your search for a roommate.